The Birth of Mooseheart

After careful consideration of numerous sites, the Moose Supreme Council in late 1912 approved the purchase of what was known as the Brookline Farm--more than 1,000 acres along the then-dirt surfaced Lincoln Highway, between Batavia and North Aurora on the west side of the Fox River, about 40 miles west of Chicago. Ohio Congressman John Lentz, a member of the Supreme Council, conceived the name "Mooseheart" for the new community: "This," he said, "will always be the place where the Moose fraternity will collectively pour out its heart, its devotion and sustenance, to the children of its members in need."

So it was on a hot summer Sunday, July 27, 1913, that several thousand Moose men and women (for the Women of the Moose received formal recognition that year as the organization's official female component) gathered under a rented circus tent toward the south end of the new property and placed the cornerstone for Mooseheart. The first 11 youngsters in residence were present, having been admitted earlier that month; they and a handful of workers were housed in the original farmhouse and a few rough-hewn frame buildings that had been erected that spring.

Mooseheart's construction proceeded furiously over the next decade, but it only barely kept pace with the admissions that swelled the student census to nearly 1,000 by 1920. (Mooseheart's student population would reach a peak of 1,300 during the depths of the Great Depression; housing was often "barracks" style - unacceptable by today's standards. Mooseheart officials now consider the campus' ultimate maximum capacity as no more than 500.) Still, by the Twenties, Davis and his Moose colleagues thought the fraternity should do more--this time for aged members who were having trouble making ends meet in retirement. (A limited number of elderly members had been invited to live at Mooseheart since 1915.)


Home Page | Calendar | News | Photos | About Us | Officers | Join | Contact Us | Links

Loyal Order of the Moose | Women of the Moose | Mooseheart | Moosehaven | Moose Charities


Beloit Moose Lodge 191
1806 Gale Dr
Beloit, WI 53511
Phone: (608) 362-9886

E-mail havefun@beloitmooselodge.com



View Larger Map


We are Proud Members of the UpNorth Info Network FSR RE and the Here'sYourKeys.com Network.  This site and all pages herein have been designed by and are hosted by the Internet Specialists at UpNorth Publishing, a division of BOTEK CORPORATION and are the property of Beloit Moose Lodge #191
Copyright 2013
Beloit Moose Lodge #191 All Rights Reserved.

Beloit Moose Lodge #191, Beloit, Wisconsin